Using Break Room Market technology and an increased product base can bring in the 70% of customers not utilizing traditional vending methods. Three Square Market gives you the opportunity to include a mobile app option, keep track of products through our ordering intelligence system, customize your market, take advantage of the most complete anti-theft tools, and use a pricing structure designed to allow operators to equip their market with the most complete solution possible! Businesses will benefit by having increased employee satisfaction, more productive employees, increased employee retention, and so much more!
Make the most of your Three Square Market by effectively merchandising your products!
Let’s start by understanding what merchandising really is and why we do it:
“Merchandising is the art of staging a store to encourage consumers to purchase more products.”
By merchandising properly, you should: sell more products, sell products before the shelf life runs out, maximize floor space, encourage customers to spend more, gain customer loyalty, and ultimately, drive sales and increase profits!
Follow these Do’s and Dont’s to master the art of merchandising, enhance your market and drive sales through the roof!
- DO: Place high-priced, “top-shelf” items on the top shelf or up high
- DO: Put the most important items at the top-left. Most people read from left to right, top to bottom.
- DO: Place “destination” items on the bottom shelves. These are items that customers seek out and will purchase regardless of price or promotion
- DO: Place destination items, like milk and eggs, in the furthest corner, to encourage customers to walk through the entire market
- DO: Place competitive, high-impulse, enticing products at eye-level
- DO: Place promoted products, with the highest profit margin, on the end caps
- DO: Put close-out items in “dump bins” or “offer bins”, which are associated with cheap prices
- DO: Separate green vegetables with colorful ones, to engage the customer’s eye
- DO: Use black backing on bakery displays, so the food stands out
- DO: Stagger shelves on fresh food displays, so more of the food is visible
- DO: Use props, like flowers or wine bottles, when appropriate, to create an emotional response
- DO: Place impulse-purchase items near the kiosks
- DO: Use eye-catching displays, such as standalone setups, to draw customers in
- DO: Make all signs clear and easy to read
- DO: Have one single, clear message per sign
- DO: Document successful and unsuccessful market layouts for future reference
- DO: View your market layout in the customer’s point of view; make changes accordingly
- DON’T: Don’t separate like-items. For example, Coca-cola products should be placed next to Pepsi products, chips should be placed next to other salty items (Chex, Pringles…), etc.
- DON’T: Don’t over-crowd your market. Fill it with as many products as possible, without making it difficult for customers to walk through
- DON’T: Don’t leave empty spaces. Re-organize shelves frequently, so that items are in their correct places and are on the edges of the shelves, close to the customers
- DON’T: Don’t leave a mess. Keep your market clean and neat, for a positive customer experience
- DON’T: Don’t hide promotions. Make sure any sales or promotions you have are clearly announced
- DON’T: Don’t forget about smartphones! Promote the mobile app to drive more sales
- DON’T: Don’t wait to update. Update all signs and prices immediately after making changes
- DON’T: Don’t leave broken items or displays unfixed
- DON’T: Don’t ignore the shelf life of items. Make sure every item in your market is good for customers to purchase and/or consume
- DON’T: Don’t forget about your local community. Incorporate local events or needs into your market to create an emotional connection with your customer
Creativity is key!
When you are merchandising products in your Three Square Market, don’t be afraid to try new things! Not every method works the same for every market. Keeping in mind the specific needs of your community is an important part of finding the best option for your market. Go to our website to discover how we can help enhance your business!